3 Things You Need To Know About Getting Your Commercial Driving License (CDL)


If you have a good driving record, and you want to open up an entirely new field of employment, you are going to want to pursue getting your commercial driving license (CDL). With your CDL, you can apply for and work as a commercial driver. You can drive delivery trucks, semi-trucks, tow-trucks, and buses. You will have access to thousands of jobs by getting your CDL. Here's what to know about getting your CDL. 

#1 Age Requirements

Not everyone who has a driver licenses can get a commercial driver's license. You have to be at least 21 years old in order to get a commercial driver's license. There are some states that will allow you to drive a commercial vehicle if you are under 21; however, you will have a restricted license that you can only use in the state that issues the license.

The age requirements are in place to ensure that commercial drivers have both the driving experience necessary for driving a commercial vehicles and the maturity necessary for driving such a large vehicle.

#2 State & Federal Test Requirements

In order to get a CDL, you have to pass both state and federal guidelines and requirements for getting a CDL license. Basically, you will need to pass an in-depth knowledge test as well as a driving skill test. You generally have to have so many hours of practice with a commercial vehicle, which is where attending CDL driving school comes into play. At CDL driving school, you will get the practice you need to pass the driving test.

Depending on the state that you live in, you may have additional requirements that you have to pass as well.

#3 Different Endorsements

Once you have the basic CDL license, there are additional endorsements that you are going to need to obtain for different types of jobs. These endorsements will require additional training as well as additional driving tests and written tests.

There are four different types of endorsements. A passenger (P) endorsement allows you to carry passengers; for example, with a passenger endorsement you would be able to drive a bus or a large passenger van. With a tank (T) endorsement, you will be able to carry liquid cargo. An H endorsement will allow you to carry hazardous materials, such as items that are flammable or explosive. Finally, an S endorsement will allow you to drive a school bus, which you also have to undergo an in-depth background check for, as you will be transporting children.

Each of these endorsements require extra training and time but are worth it, as they open up your career possibilities even more. If you have a good driving record, you should look into attending CDL school so that you can become a professional driver.


28 September 2018

Knowing the Early Signs of Car Trouble

After my car died and I was stranded on the freeway a few years back, I knew that I had to do what I could to avoid similar issues in the future. I began working hard to identify different issues with my car, so that I could prevent problems. I began working with a mechanic to get help, and he taught me a lot about going through my car and being able to evaluate different things that were problems. It was really interesting to explore the possibilities of different car failures, and before I knew it, I could tell when my car was struggling. Read more about the early signs of car trouble on my blog.